Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I haven't bought laundry detergent since 2009.  Yes, you read that correctly. I found a homemade recipe and tried it on a whim to see how we liked it and never turned back.  This was especially fortunate for us as myself and the kids all have eczema and very sensitive skin. 

This recipe makes a 5 gallon bucket (which I keep in the mudroom) and I fill a small "regular" detergent bottle up as needed.  The 5 gallon bucket will last our family about 4 months and costs a fraction of brand named detergent. 

This is how I make it:


1/3 bar of Dr Bronner's Castile Soap, grated (I use lavender and found at Target)
1 cup washing soda (I found mine at ACE hardware)
1/2 cup Borax

Grate 1/3 soap bar into a small saucepan.

Cover with hot water and stir continually over medium heat until completely dissolved.  Put washing soda and Borax into 5 gallon bucket followed by the hot soapy mixture.  Fill up the bucket to close to the top with more hot water.  Stir really well.  Put the lid on and let it sit overnight.  Stir again in the morning. 

Fill a "regular" sized detergent container half with water and half with soap mixture.  Give it a good shake before using.  I use about 1/3 - 1/2 cup for each load depending on what I'm washing.  Everyday clothes take less.  My hubby's farm clothes definitely more.

Dr Bronner's soaps (bar and liquid) ROCK and smell great!  I have several different scents for many cleaning recipes (will have a post on those later). 

This detergent is wonderful and so cost efficient - especially in today's economy - every penny saved is a bonus! 

Hope you'll give it a try. 


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...